More Paisley or should I say Whales?

2014_09190017Donna’s comment on my last post that the first paisley motif made her think of a whale with flowery eyes made me chuckle and since then all I can see are whales. I have completed the second motif now which looks even more like a whale than the last one!

This motif is much better than the last one as I have abandoned the waste knot starting method so the ends are secure.  I haven’t got bored of french knots yet but I am more and more convinced that I get more enjoyment from the crewelwork I did in the last project.

Two more small motifs, or whales to do, and then I have to decide whether to do some motifs on the back of the cushion and then to sew it all up and finish it!

2014_09190018In the meantime I am looking for the next project which will be crewelwork or maybe a go at Needlepainting.  I think I want to get a little more experience and practice under my belt before I launch into the design course.

Paisley Ponderings

2014_09090002I had been making good progress on the paisley designed cushion cover but I suspect I am about to take some steps backwards.

In my last post I mentioned how frustrated with the transfer method suggested with the pattern in the Stitch magazine I was.  I used a transfer pencil and despite repeating the process several times the pattern was barely visible even with my glasses on!  So I decided enough was enough and drew in the design freehand which turned out to be quite easy really given the simplicity of the design.  I definitely prefer the pounching transfer method.

Anyway having transferred the design I have made good progress on the largest motif.  The outline is in stem stitch, with the flowers made up of detached chain stitches and French knots.  I have to say that I have felt that any doubt I might have had about French knots have definitely been put to bed. I also enjoyed the crewelwork project much more as I like the complexity of the stitches and effect achieved.

All seemed well until I realised that my approach of using a waste knot was failing dismally. I had learnt this method of starting off a new thread on the previous project where it was great.  Essentially you start the thread off going down from the top side of the fabric a little way from where you will be stitching.  Then when you have finished you snip of the knot and the thread is caught up with the stitches on the back of the work.  This worked well with crewelwork due to the density of the stitching but with the current project it hasn’t work since the stitches are quite well spread out and so there is nothing really to catch the thread. I really should have twigged this a little earlier.

Therefore I am going back to my old approach for the rest of this project catching the thread under previously sewn stitches and I think I might have to re-do some of the work I have already done but I think I will come back to that at the end.

I am still pondering the Embroiders Guild course.  I think I might go for it as it will bring out my creative imagination which must be lurking somewhere, although if I could find some sort of distance learning course through which I could learn skills such as goldwork, blackwork or stumpwork I would prefer to go for one of those.